- The usage of plastic bags has become a part of life style in the 20th century. People go empty handed to the shops and return with loads of plastic bags. The concerns of Plastic bags towards the environment are too huge to ignore.
- Plastic bags were mostly made of 'polyethylene' which is made out of petroleum. If you find the words PE on any plastic bag, be sure that it was made out of Polyethylene. Petroleum as we know is a limited natural resource, which can be exhausted if used irrationally. Besides, numerous toxic chemicals were released while manufacturing the Polyethylene.
- A plastic bag once thrown on the ground takes centuries together to degenerate. Since most of the plastic bags we use are not biodegradable, they would just break into small pieces and will never completely decompose into the earth!
- The plastic bags left as a garbage would severely affect the wild life. Stray dogs and cows would eat them along with the food left in them. Marine creatures would mistake them to be jelly fish and consume them. Even the sea birds and turtles also eat the pieces of plastic bags thinking them to be of some kind of prey. Such an intake is almost fatal to creatures either instantly or in the long run.
- The garbage of plastic bags is the main culprit for blocking the drainage systems. They would just gather at the sewage blocking the flow of water. When floods storm the cities, plastic bags were found to aggravate the disasters by locking up the flood waters.
- As the plastic bags take centuries to degenerate, they slowly break into synthetic granules. The soil containing the carry bags would certainly be polluted. Besides, the granules would get mixed with ground water. The plants would grow on such land and the animals would feed on such plants. So! After a few decades, the synthetic granules would become a part of the food chain!
- Its damn easy to say no plastic bags. Keep a bag made out of jute or cotton with you. Don't insist for a plastic bag if you don't need one. If you have purchased a single commodity, carry it by hand. Donít throw away the old plastic bags carelessly. Whenever you wish to depend on a plastic bag, be aware of the fact that it would be for centuries together on the earth. So letís keep our earth clean!